Come on in… the water’s GREAT!
Orchard Brook maintains a complex of two heated swimming pools for the benefit of residents. There is a 25-yard lap pool and a kiddie pool. The pools (like the clubhouse) are largely paid for by the annual assessment, with additional funding from guest fees and other pool activities.
The pool is one of the features that makes Orchard Brook unique. Downers Grove
does not have a public, outdoor swimming facility, and many residents join local
private swim clubs at a cost of around $700 per season. We are very fortunate to
have our own facility.
About the pool
- The pool does not open unless the temperature is at least 70 degrees. If the pool closes due to the temperature dropping below 70 degrees, it does not re-open that day.
- In the event of lightning or thunder, the pool will be closed for 30 minutes after each subsequent episode of either lightning or thunder. Pool closings are up to the discretion of the head guard on duty.
- The wading pool is for children 7 years of age and younger. There is NO lifeguard for the wading pool and thus guardians MUST be with their children at all times.
- There is an adult swim for everyone ages 18 and older in the last 15 minutes of each hour.
- A “deep end test” is recommended for young swimmers who are either new to the pool or have not previously passed such a test. A lifeguard may ask any child to retake the test if the lifeguard believes it to be necessary for that child’s safety. The test consists of 1) swimming one length of the pool and 2) treading water for one minute in the deep end with head above the water and then exiting the pool safely. When a child passes the test we will record their name and they will receive a wristband that we request be worn at all times when swimming.
- Please recycle using the green and yellow Waste Management recycling bins on the pool deck. The main items that can be recycled are: 1) plastic beverage bottles 2) aluminum cans 3) paper (magazines, newspapers, etc.). Please see the flyer for the specific items that are recyclable and not recyclable. If you are not sure if an item can be recycled, follow this motto: “When in doubt, throw it out.” Please help us do our part to divert as many recyclable items from the landfill as possible. You can also help us control our costs by following these recycling rules as you enjoy the summer season.
- Lost & Found: Please remember to look through the lost and found located at the entrance to the ladies locker room. All unclaimed items will be donated at the end of the season.
- Want to know the the Hours of Operation and Lap Swim times? Click here
- Need to see the Pool Rules? Click here
- Bringing Guests? Click here
- Planning a Pool Party? Click here
- Interested in Swim Lessons? Click here
- Want to join Swim Team? Click here
- Want more information about becoming a lifeguard? Click here
Want to help?
If you have creative ideas for how to make the Orchard Brook pool experience even better, or if you want to get involved in certain aspects of the pool season planning and operations, we would love to hear from you. Send a message with this link.